About SER: SER is a 501c3 not-for-profit organization based in Washington D.C. with over 2,500 members in more than 70 countries, 13 regional chapters, and two thematic sections. Our mission is to promote ecological restoration as a means of sustaining the diversity of life on earth and re-establishing an ecologically healthy relationship between nature and culture.
Position Overview: The Society for Ecological Restoration (SER) is seeking an enthusiastic applicant with environmental knowledge to join our team. This is a full-time, entry-level position at our Washington D.C. office at 1133 15th St NW, Washington D.C. 20005. The Communications & Operations Associate reports to the Executive Director and works closely with the Membership & Communications Director.
Communications tasks focus on outreach and external (non-member-related) communications. Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Social media program and plan coordination and implementation
- Coordination of the quarterly member newsletter, SERNews, and creation of the monthly e-newsletter, Restore
- Email and other outreach related to SER’s World Conference on Ecological Restoration
- Website content creation and upkeep
- Webinar series development and production, including identifying topics, contacting and coordinating with speakers, etc.
- Press release development, distribution and follow-up as appropriate, including developing and maintaining a current media contact list
Primary Operations tasks include but are not limited to:
- Overall organizational administrative management and support (e.g. support for all aspects of business operations at SER, including but not limited to updating/renewing health insurance policies, identifying/managing new software purchases, identifying operational/fiscal efficiencies and cost savings opportunities, human resources support, providing program support to other staff).
- Maintenance of SER’s electronic and physical files
- Financial administration and support in coordination with external bookkeeper
- Database management and support in coordination with Membership Director
- Acting as a resource for initial member inquiries
- Directing member queries to appropriate technical staff
- Scheduling and other coordination/support for Board of Directors and Executive Director
The position task list may change depending on the capabilities of the individual and the needs of the Society.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree required
- Ideal candidates will hold a degree in an environmental or natural sciences field with additional preference given to those with knowledge of ecological restoration
- Strong technical capabilities and ability to quickly learn new technological systems and software
- Ability to work logically and efficiently in a fast-paced and growing organization
- Prompt, polite, and professional demeanor
- Keen attention to detail across multiple projects
- Strong written and oral communications skills
- Ability to prioritize multiple competing tasks with numerous project leaders
- Capacity to work well with competing priorities and tight deadlines that require a high degree of independent action with minimal supervision
- Ability to communicate effectively with many individuals across and international network
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Previous experience with a membership database or Association Management Software (AMS)
- Previous experience with Constant Contact or other email marketing platforms, web editing, and design software
How to Apply:
Application deadline is June 4th. To apply, please send resume, cover letter, and short writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please title your email: SER Communications & Operations Coordinator Applicant – YOUR NAME. Top applicants will be contacted by email to schedule interviews during the week of June 12.
Desired start date is July 10, 2017
SER is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.