Donate | Join | Print Page | Sign In
Seed-based webinar follow-up #21 Do you have recommendations for rapid...
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

5/4/2017 at 9:23:55 AM GMT
Seed-based webinar follow-up #21 Do you have recommendations for rapid...

Seed-based webinar follow-up #21

Do you have recommendations for rapid assessment methods of seeded sites?

Directed to: all

5/4/2017 at 9:47:39 AM GMT
Todd's reply:

I am not aware of any rapid assessments for seeded sites. We have recently analysed a large dataset from the Pilbara whereby consultants use a transect based approach that either uses the Point-Center-Quadrat (PCQ) method or a newly devised quadrat method (which is an internal mining process). Both techniques measure rehabilitation performance in different ways, but both capture the main cover, density and species richness metrics targeted in many monitoring programs (see Shackelford et al (in press) Restoration of open-cut mining in semi-arid systems: a synthesis of long-term monitoring data and implications for management. Land Degradation and Development, DOI 10.1002/ldr.2746). Im sure there a many other methods available out in the literature.

5/4/2017 at 12:28:49 PM GMT
In our prairies, we are pretty subjective during the first several years. We rarely visit the sites during the first year or two because the early establishment is so variable from year to year that it can be more frustrating than productive to go look at them. We generally trust that good things are happening or will happen. If I do go look, I'll get down on hands and knees and see if I can find a native grass seedling and forb seedling within a few feet of where I'm sitting. If I do, I'm ecstatic. If I don't, I don't worry too much about it... By about year three, we expect to see native grass plants every square meter or so, and at least a couple native forbs in the same area. That's pretty easy to check by just walking through it. sorry not to be more quantitative, but based on years of experience (and conversations with other practitioners) it doesn't seem worthwhile to worry too much in those first couple years.

logo