Donate | Join | Print Page | Sign In
Seed-based webinar follow-up #23 What advice do you have for sites with ...
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

5/4/2017 at 9:25:38 AM GMT
Seed-based webinar follow-up #23 What advice do you have for sites with ...

Seed-based webinar follow-up #23

What advice do you have for sites with seed banks of aggressive invasive plants (often annual grasses) and/or for sites where topography precludes flatland agriculture approaches to weed pretreatment. (From California)

Directed to: all

5/4/2017 at 1:23:13 PM GMT
Are we talking about trying to kill all current vegetation in preparation for a new seeding? If so, I'd be curious to see how a herbicide regime that includes both chemicals that kill existing plants and that provide pre-emergent treatments would work. I have no experience with CA or similar areas, so this is just guesswork... If you could kill the existing vegetation, application of pre-emergent herbicide might help deplete the seed bank of invasives by killing them as they germinate, especially if you could burn or do something else to stimulate germination of the available seed bank. Is grazing an option? That might be an additional tool to help with pre-restoration site prep, but could also be useful afterwards if you get flushes of those invasives and could knock them back with short-term targeted grazing that suppresses vigor of invasives but then allows natives to grow after livestock are removed. Just crazy ideas...

5/4/2017 at 1:23:14 PM GMT
Are we talking about trying to kill all current vegetation in preparation for a new seeding? If so, I'd be curious to see how a herbicide regime that includes both chemicals that kill existing plants and that provide pre-emergent treatments would work. I have no experience with CA or similar areas, so this is just guesswork... If you could kill the existing vegetation, application of pre-emergent herbicide might help deplete the seed bank of invasives by killing them as they germinate, especially if you could burn or do something else to stimulate germination of the available seed bank. Is grazing an option? That might be an additional tool to help with pre-restoration site prep, but could also be useful afterwards if you get flushes of those invasives and could knock them back with short-term targeted grazing that suppresses vigor of invasives but then allows natives to grow after livestock are removed. Just crazy ideas...

logo